Why should we introduce puzzles to kids in early age?
Mahika is 2.4 years old and she is doing puzzles when she was only 22 months old. I never forced her to do puzzle instead she loved doing it. May be she like to arrange things generally and she is a builder not destroyer, thats why she is more interested in puzzles. We started with 9 piece zigsaw puzzles having picture under it. She learned it quickly and gained interest in other puzzles too. Then after few months she has started doing 26 pieces puzzles and now she can make 35 pieces puzzles by her own. All what I did is, I kept telling her how to select pieces and join them. What should come after one another. Like while making peppa pig puzzle I ask her where is daddy pig search from the pile and put it here. They learn very quickly. So now the question arises why puzzles?
Pointing out some benefits of introducing puzzles to your kids..
1. It is the best mental game to keep them busy for sometime. Kids learn how to sit patiently. Start with simple peg puzzles and then move to zigsaw.
2. It helps in developing congnitive skills. Puzzles comes in different themes so kids can learn different topics while doing puzzles. It helps in better understanding to toddlers and younger kids.
3. It also helps in developing problem solving skills. A child have to use his mental ability to solve a puzzle and it sets a goal to achieve. This reasoning and problem solving skills can later transfer into their personality as a adult.
4. Helps in developing fine motor skills. Picking small pieces of puzzles and putting them into right or wrong place always helps in developing pincher grip and improve fine motor skills.
5. Develops eye and hand coordination. While playing with puzzles kids have yo do so many trials and errors which uses both their eyes and hand and develop a good hand and eye coordination.
6. Lastly accomplishment if achieving a goal brings so much satisfaction in child. It definitely boost self confidence in child.
Mahika is doing @skolatoys wooden puzzle in the pic.